Monday, April 29, 2019

Fortunate Weather

Well, the hand-quilting of the middle of the Spring Flowers quilt is done. Just the borders to go.




I'm stitching in the ditch around the dark blue inner border and plan on doing something simple in the white outer border. Then the sleeve and binding! My plan is to replace the Pine Burr quilt over the couch in the living room with the Spring Flowers quilt, and then put the Pine Burr quilt back in the Fall. If you've forgotten the Pine Burr quilt, here's a reminder.




Some of our bulbs are finally coming up, so it's fitting to be working on Spring Flowers.

The weather was helpful for our activities this week. The window replacement project is done (for now). The men came back on Monday and replace the two front windows in the living room.




Then they moved on to the kitchen.




Here's the kitchen window, finished.



The weather during the three days they worked on the windows was pleasant. It rained on Saturday, when they were off. They finished installing the windows they started with each day, so they didn't have to leave any windows open overnight. We hope to replace the others later on, but we have to spread out the costs because there is so much to do.

You may remember from last week that I needed something to knit when it got too dark in the evening for hand-quilting, so I started a turtleneck sweater for Mandy. I finished it on Friday. I think it's a good color for her.




She's an important member of the cast of The Doll's Storybook. Friday's story required an outdoor photo shoot along the trail near our home. I attracted a lot of attention while I was setting up the shots and taking the photos. I handed out a few cards. The story, Ups and Downs, found Mandy, Billy and Mariah out on the trail, throwing the frisbee, when they notice all the pinecones lying around. Mandy has to reach into her little vinyl brain to try to answer their questions.




We walked to the dog park twice last week. You can see how close it is to our house from this screen shot of the Walk for a Dog app. Less than a mile and a half round-trip.





The pups had a good time, and there are always interesting people to talk with.



This week's big home-improvement project is going to be the pad and driveway for our trailer. As I write this, their equipment has arrived, and we have moved our 5th wheel out to the street.





What's on my needles: Finished the Wonderland Turtle turtleneck sweater for Mandy in Macaw Palette.

What's on my sewing machine: Still doll clothes for Daphne's birthday doll, Marie.

What's in my hoop: Still the Spring Flowers quilt, but just the inner and outer borders to do. 

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Ups and Downs. Several of the dolls play outdoors and learn some lessons about pinecones.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished listening to Sir Philip's Folly by M. C. Beaton (aka Marion Chesney). Then listened to The Mésalliance by Stella Riley. Now I'm barreling through Marion Chesney's "The Waverley Women" series, having read The First Rebellion and Silken Bonds. Now I'm reading The Love Match. I haven't made up my mind about the Romance Package yet, because not all the books in the package have a "Steaminess" rating, and books by some authors I really like don't seem to be included. Many of the books included are already permanently in my library. The books in the Package are just on loan. You can keep up to 10 in your library at any one time. Then you can remove them to get additional books. Marion Chesney's novellas are 4-5 hours each, so rather expensive to buy per hour of entertainment, so I'll try to listen to as many as I can in this first month, which is up the middle of May.

What's in my wine glass: Terrain Vineyards Red Blend 2015, which should be Mandy's favorite wine, because she's a Götz Happy Kidz Katie 2015--same vintage.

What's my tip of the week: Parchment paper is a good substitute for foil for many purposes. It has the added benefit of being naturally nonstick. If it doesn't get too messy, it can be wiped off and saved to use again.



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment