Monday, May 27, 2024

Renovations

I have several iPhone totes. They are all worn out now, and two would have to have the lining replaced to be able to get my current phone inside, even if I fixed the strap. So I made a new one from scratch using this pattern.


I had a nice piece of fabric left from Zachary's quilt that had some green in it, so I made the lining out of that. Here's a photo taken during the knitting.


I've needle-felted the logo on the past ones, but that sometimes wears off in time, so this time I cut the pieces out of thick interfacing. A piece of felt should work, too, but I used what I had.


I managed to get a few rounds done on the Oregon Autumn Cardigan this week. I now have only three decrease rounds to go before the V-neck will be finished. (Decreases are every third round, so nine rounds to go.)


We've been getting the r·pod ready for summer use. Saturday we got the first shelf put up. We bought 6' wire shelves from Lowe's and tension rods from Walmart that will accommodate a 6' length. The plan was to put them just above the cornices over the windows. However, one window is higher up than the other one, so we think we will need some kind of support for the two ends over the lower one.


Charlie had to measure from the ceiling to get them level. We could have used a level tool if our trailer pad were actually level.


We installed the shelf upside down on purpose. That way, we have a little rail along the front of the shelf.


I think Joann has some more of these plastic boxes. They came in sets of three, I think. This one is the perfect size. We plan to install another shelf over the bed. We will have the same problem with one end, but the windows are closer to the same level.


The pups went to the groomer this week. They look beautiful. Sandy is actually bigger than Dusty, but he hasn't gained any weight in two weeks, so he may not be growing anymore.


Charlie thought Sandy was getting fat, but I don't think so. His hair grows faster than Dusty's so by the time they go to the groomer he does look a little plump. Not afterwards, though.


The pups are always tired when they get home from the groomer. Sandy takes up Rocky's old spot in one of the beanbags in the family room. Cozy!


When I got home from choir Wednesday evening, I noticed the beautiful sunset. I had to get a photo


We had another Madroña Pop-up meeting on Tuesday. We grilled a piece of salmon out on the back deck and roasted some cabbage. I found a new recipe and cut it in half. It was tasty (see below). I also made some Dutch Oven Bread.



Besides all that, I've been reading through the stories for the new book, making corrections, and taking photos for the new story that came out on Friday, as well as a few for the new book, because I wanted to incorporate the new character into it. I'm planning to have a "Reader's Challenge" at the end of each story, so I have to make those up, too.


On this Memorial Day 2024, let's not forget those who gave their lives in our fight against Fascism. 



If you don't know what Fascism really is, this, from Brittanica (the encyclopedia), about sums it up: "Although fascist parties and movements differed significantly from one another, they had many characteristics in common, including extreme militaristic nationalismcontempt for electoral democracy and political and cultural liberalism, a belief in natural social hierarchy and the rule of elites, and the desire to create a Volksgemeinschaft (German: “people’s community”), in which individual interests would be subordinated to the good of the nation." In the lead-up to WWII, minority groups were used as scapegoats, and hatred of them was kindled.

I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.


If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart". Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil, Mariah or Classic Tales Retold, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still working on the Oregon Cardigan.

What's on my loom: Still in its corner under the windows, not warped, but dusted, at least.

What's on my sewing machine: I used the Featherweight to make the lining for the new iPhone tote, but I need to put it away.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Remember the little girl Pam lives with, the one who has diabetes and wears a patch that gives her insulin when she needs it? She and her mother made one for Pam, who shows it off to her friends in The Patch.


What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to After Death by Dean Koontz. Also still reading Elfen Königin by Holly Black, translated from English. Didn't get very far with either this week.

What's in my wine glass: Sangiovese Negroamaro 2020 from Dominic Hentall. Pretty good.

What's my tip of the week: Cabbage is inexpensive and nutritious. It's great when you're feeding only two people, because it will store in the fridge for weeks if you don't cut it but just peel off the amount you need. I found this new (to us) recipe for roasted cabbage, and it turned out great.


Screen shot from the Recipe Box app.

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook is available from the BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. Poems included are Valentine's DayKeeping PetsBack to School, Victor the VultureThe Week Before Christmas, Insomnia and Veronika's Vocabulary Verses.
The stories in Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>  

No comments:

Post a Comment