Monday, December 16, 2019

In Stitches, As Always

Ta-da! My Trickle Brick Socks are done after only four years! One more UFO out of the way for 2019, and just in the nick of time as the calendar ticks down.


Our annual holiday letter took up some time this past week. It pretty much summarizes our activities for the past year, including getting another UFO out of the hoop and onto the wall. We posted it as a blog this year, because it was going to be too long to print and mail, and too big to email, with all the photos. You can find it here, if you want to have a look.

Along the lines of knitting, our church has a prayer-shawl ministry. Our temporary pianist/organist is going to have knee surgery in January, so the group of knitters gave him a shawl that matches our robes. It was presented during practice before church Sunday morning.


One of my projects from several years ago has gone on to another recipient. It's one of the Baby Surprise Jackets I made for Soren before he was born. I used Knit Picks Stroll Sport for wear (third baby, so it worked) in "Winter Night" and "Mink Heather." The model is the almost-brand-new Miss Elsie, our DDIL's niece. Details are here. This was one of the ones I made with a hood.



If you enjoy knitting, this is a fun project. It's an unusual shape as you knit, sort of like a potato chip. Then a couple of seams at the shoulders/sleeves, and it's done. It's really good with two colors or a multi, which will show off the corners of the rows, as you can see in the photo.

We had rain for several days, which cut into our walking time. It was very cold rain, and who wants to walk in that? However, we did manage to do some walking after the rain stopped.


The pups always enjoys some off-leash time, especially Dusty. (I wish I could bottle that energy. I could make a lot of money.)


Rocky has recovered from his dental procedure and is pretty much back to normal, although he's still on antibiotic. The stitches in his gums dissolve on their own, so he doesn't need to go back.

The dolls' story this week was about a charging failure with Emil's hearing aids. He couldn't hear, so Billy watched out for him on the way to school, at school and on the way home.


I set up a donation for my birthday on Facebook. I selected Hunger Prevention Coalition of Central Oregon, which I talked about last week. I'm hoping a few more people will donate by the end of the month, but most of the people I know don't live here. I will be just as happy for people to donate to a soup kitchen or shelter closer to home. There are hungry people everywhere.

What's on my needles: Ready to CO the Midcoast sweater.

What's on my sewing machine: On vacation

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. Another week with no progress.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Emil's Big Problem. This week's story is finished and scheduled, and next week's is in the works. I'm not taking the dolls with me when we go visit the kids in Beaverton; I shudder to think what they might get up to while we're gone!

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still Blowout by Rachel Maddow, and holiday music.

What's in my wine glass: Charles Shaw Red Blend 2016 ("Two-buck Chuck," although it's $3.00 where we live.) One of our favorites, because it's such a great value.

What's my tip of the week: Stains in vases can be removed by filling with vinegar, adding some tea leaves, and swirl and shake or stir until the stains disappear.



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment