Monday, May 4, 2015

Basking in the Sun

We were getting ready to leave for a camping trip, when I received this in the mail:


Stroll Sock yarn in WhiteDogwood Heather and Dandelion, and Stroll Brights in Pucker for our trip this summer. Kookaburra Wool Wash and the 2 oz bottle of the same to take on our flight for washing clothes out, so we don't need to carry as much. Also the book Classic Color Pattern Collection, Fair Isle patterns. I was afraid this order would come while we were gone, so it was a pleasant surprise. I needed the white for these socks. I want to take the white ones and the navy ones (Kai-Mei, see below) with me this summer, so they are a priority.

Our trip to Moab was great, although I didn't get much knitting done. Between the hiking and cleaning the trailer, which I had to do because it was the first time out for the season, my time was pretty much taken up. We had some great hikes, though, enjoyed the lovely scenery of southern Utah and got to spend some quality time with DGD1 when no one was working or busy with normal activities.

DGD1 took this photo of me during our Mill Creek Trail hike on Monday. (Notice the camera in my hands.)
I got this one of DH playing with the pups. It was a bit cold for them to swim for long.
It was too bad the water was cold. It would have been fun to play in the waterfall.
I snapped this picture of DGD1 during our four-mile hike at Dead Horse Point State Park on Wednesday.
There were some lovely windflowers. My favorite was this cactus flower.
It snowed the night before we left home. It was great to leave it behind, even though the snow was very light this year.

I did get some knitting done in the back seat of our tow vehicle as we drove down there and back, and we all got to listen to the audiobook together. Here's a photo of the first of DH's Diagonal Cross-Rib Socks, finished except for weaving in the ends the night before we left:



Details of pattern and yarn are here.

And progress on the first Kai-Mei sock:



Details here. In the photo, you can see the beginnings of the panel that wraps around the foot.

For this week's cuteness, I thought you would appreciate how Zachary looks after his first haircut (other than Dad snipping curls from his head while Mom cried).



What's on my needles: The Diagonal Cross-Rib Socks for DH, second sock started and moving along. Ready to CO his March of the Fibres cardi when I get a chance. Also the Kai-Mei socks, first sock at the gusset.

What's on my Featherweight: The third block for the First Ladies Quilt. I missed the class while we were camping, so I didn't get very far with it.

What's on my wheel: Still Full Circle spinning fiber in Pigeon.

What's on my loom: Still some warp for another scarf.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Listened to Mars Rover Curiosity, an Inside Account From Curiosity's Chief Engineer, by Rob Manning and William L. Simon from Audible, the story of the development and deployment of the Mars Rover. I then went on to Footsteps in the Dark by Georgette Heyer (one of her mysteries) from the library on the Overdrive app. Finished Rediculous by D. L. Carter on the Kindle app. I don't know when I've laughed so much over a book I couldn't put down. (Caution: some explicit sex, but it wasn't excessive, fit the story and lacked the corny euphemisms I find so silly.) Now reading Marie Astor's To Catch a Bad Guy from iBooks.

What's in my wine glass: Crane Lake Malbec, 2013, always good value.

What's my tip of the week: Remember the finger lights I talked about in my blog post of last June 16th? During our trip back from Moab, it came in handy. I was sitting with the pups in the back seat of the pickup, trying to knit on my dark navy Kai-Mei sock, but not able to see the K3P3 ribbing, because there wasn't enough light. I dug this out of my knitting notions box, and voilà!



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment